Deadline : May 4, 2020
Applications for the Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge 2020 are now open. Join a global movement to prepare, adapt and respond to the most pressing challenges in food and water. Nurture breakthrough ideas, apply human-centered design to engineer innovative hardware solutions that help achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
Those who engage in this challenge will have access to the Siemens software and technologies that have already enabled its users to cut product development cycle times in half. Now in addition to speed to market, engineers can focus on speed to society, delivering the solutions needed to achieve a more equal world by 2030.
About Innovate for Impact: Siemens Design Challenge :
We’re challenging innovators around the world – from Siemens, from academia to private industry, as well as at NGOs and public organizations – to use technology to address the challenges of meeting the planet’s need for adequate food and clean water.
Throughout the challenge, you will be asked to:
- Submit a text based application, explaining the problem area you are addressing and your proposed solution
- Submit a short (60 seconds maximum) video introducing your team and product concept
- Research and explore the needs of your end user
- Design your concept in 3D CAD
- Iterate your design based on the research you have conducted and provide justification for your decisions
- Simulate how your product works
- Submit a video pitch of your proposed solution
Applications open March 4, 2020. Sign-up as an E4C Member for updates!
Challenge Phase :
Design Challenge Submission Checklist
- Sign-up as a member on the Engineering for Change (E4C) website. It’s free!
- Familiarize yourself with the Resources section, in particular —
- SDGs and 50 Breakthroughs
- Tools provided by E4C and Siemens
- Identify a problem, or opportunity, within one of the two stated challenge tracks above. Consider prior-art and how access, efficiency and/or usability might be improved through design, engineering or manufacturing.
- Review the Design Parameters document for your selected track. (below)
- Assemble a team. While individuals may participate by themselves, it is highly beneficial to leverage diverse backgrounds. Team composition will be considered during the judging process.
- Draft an initial solution concept. Note that you will refine this concept over the course of the challenge. Solutions should address one of the two challenges posted. (At the planning & concept phase, concepts may be explorative, but should start to answer the questions listed in the Design Parameters.)
- Log in to your Engineering for Change account and download your free license of Siemens Solid Edge 3D CAD software here.
CLICK HERE or more information about this program check the FAQ by visiting the official website.